Having escaped to London from war torn Germany as a young boy, George passed a certain tube station with a fairy-tale name on his way to medical college each day, and fell in love with that name. Elephant & Castle Prince Street opened in The Village NY in ’73 across from St Vincent’s Hospital where George had worked as an oncologist since the 1950’s. After two decades of short lunch-breaks where he could never get anything he wanted to eat, finally he retired to a life of eating everything he wanted to eat, in his own restaurant with a special name. His passion and obsession for quality was infectious and E&C became a New York classic within a few years. The popularity of the original E&C encouraged George to open several other hugely successful New York restaurants, notably Keens Steakhouse in Upper Midtown, which to this day, two years after his death, consistently ranks in The NY Times top 5 places to eat in the City.